- 03-Jan-2013 to 04-Jan-2013 (EST)
- VA, USA
- Full Time
Department: Engineering Reports to: Electrical Engineer/Operations
Position Back-up: Electrical Engineer/Operations
Wage and Salary: Grade 223 FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Code / Cat: 18Z / 3.0 Date Revised: 10/23/2012
Position Summary and Objectives:
To coordinate, plan design, operate and maintain the telecommunications systems for all business activities. To perform duties to maintain mobile land based radio systems, microwave radio communications systems, multiple address radio frequency equipment, cellular wireless network devices, VOIP telephone systems and LAN cabling.
The scope and duties of this position may change or be temporarily altered based on the business needs of the Cooperative. The basic requirement of every position is to perform all tasks as assigned by your supervisor.
a. Become familiar with all accepted procedures and skills required for operating and maintaining the telecommunications systems.
b. Receives, prioritizes and responds in a timely manner to inquiries or service issues regarding telecommunications equipment and /or connectivity problems.
c. Be familiar with system area and able to utilize system maps, RUS Specifications and diagrams.
a. Performs duties to maintain mobile land based trucked radio system. This includes assisting garage personnel in the installation and removal of mobile radios, maintaining mobile hand held radios, database management of network controllers, acts as the system administrator generating reports updating software and firmware on these devices as necessary, maintaining repeaters, dispatch consoles, and all other components, wiring, antennas and circuits associated with the mobile land based trucked radio systems.
b. Installs and maintains voice-over IP (VOIP) network systems and related equipment such as voice switches, servers, VOIP telephones, etc.
c. Performs duties to maintain microwave radio communications systems. This includes repair/upgrades of microwave radios, database management and repair/upgrades of associated circuits.
d. Performs duties to maintain multiple address radio frequency equipment used for SCADA communications. This includes repair/upgrades of radio, frequency checks and power measurements.
e. Performs duties to maintain cellular wireless networking devices used in SCADA/AMI communications. This includes repair/upgrades of transceivers, antennas and associated hardware.
f. Schedules tower inspections and maintains tower lighting controls.
g. Performs duties to install/maintain LAN cabling. This includes pulling cable/fiber, terminating cable/fiber, using test equipment to troubleshoot network cabling and fiber.
a. Act as the system administrator generating reports updating software and firmware on these telecommunications devices as necessary
b. Ensures compliance with all FCC and FAA rules and regulations. Files and maintains all FCC and FAA licenses as necessary.
c. Accurately documents and maintains trouble log for repair, installation and removal of mobile two-way radio communications equipment and services.
1. Evaluates all new equipment and technologies and recommends suggestions for the improvement of operation and efficiency.
2. Obtains bids from supervisors and coordinates work with outside contractors on microwave, radio towers, telephone systems, two-way radio and multiple address radio frequency systems.
3. Assists the SCADA/LM technician in the installation and maintenance of SCADA, AMI and other electrical and electronic equipment used in our substations.
4. Operate vehicle as assigned and maintains log on mileage, fire extinguisher and first aid kit in that vehicle. Check oil and fuels up as needed.
5. Assist in maintaining retention of Cooperative paper records.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, and/or Training:
• Minimum Associate degree in electronics or equivalency preferred or four years directly related progressively responsible post high school experience.
• A valid general radio FCC License or a Certificate of Competency from the National Association of Business and Education Radio (NABER) or equivalent preferred.
• Must possess a valid and current Virginia driver's license applicable to all types of vehicles he/she may be required to operate and maintains acceptable insurability by the Cooperative's insurance carrier.
• Three years of progressively responsible telecommunications experience directly in telephone, microwave, fiber, WAN, LAN, and two-way radio field required.
• Two (2) years with power related electronics and experience with SCADA/Load Management / AMI equipment desired.
• Previous experience in working and dealing with the general public preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Able to satisfactorily pass pre-employment and random drug/alcohol screens.
General knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of telecommunications systems; General knowledge of construction, operation, and maintenance of a telecommunications system.
• Demonstrate knowledge of computers and computer operating systems.
• Demonstrate ability to diagnose and repair hardware and software related issues.
• Must be knowledgeable with FCC regulations and repair and testing standards for communication equipment. Must be knowledgeable of PBX systems and available grades of circuits. Must be knowledgeable of Internet communication systems and protocol.
• Must be able to analyze phone systems, read schematics and operate necessary laboratory equipment to troubleshoot and repair equipment.
• Able to understand and apply electric terminology, specifications, and regulations necessary to perform the work. Able to learn to operate tools and equipment used in the construction, operation, and maintenance of electrical distribution lines. Must have aptitude for mechanically-oriented work and able to work several feet off the ground when climbing.
• English is the business language of the Cooperative. Able to speak, read and understand documents such as system maps, staking sheets, safety procedures, instructions and manuals. Must have legible handwriting and good communication skills. Position requires the ability to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with members, other employees and the general public. Second languages are regarded as excellent and desirable skills.
• Able to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Able to apply mathematical concepts to practical situations.
• Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Able and willing to participate in training courses for the improvement of job knowledge and technical skills. Able to put forth the effort to complete work in a timely manner and show motivation to qualify for advancement.
• Must be able to establish and maintain credibility and appropriate relationships with members, and employees, and have the skills (written and verbal) to communicate effectively with all stakeholders. Must be able to work with all fellow employees to accomplish what is in the best interest of the organization. Must be able to work well with diversified groups as well as individuals.
• Must be able to respond to customers in a timely, effective manner.
• Must have the ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and work with applicable computer software programs.
• Must be able to work a minimum of eight hours a day, five days a week, and be able to work overtime and extended work days due to "on call" scheduled basis or emergencies.
Must support, be empathetic with, and interested in furthering organizational objectives. Must stay abreast of current issues facing the industry and their impact on the cooperative, its members and the communities it serves. The understanding and willingness to work unpredictable hours, often under pressure, is necessary. Must be receptive to and accept changes deemed necessary and give appropriate consideration to suggestions from peers. Must always treat the members respectfully and in a professional manner that supports our focus on outstanding customer service.
The highest degree of integrity, a pleasant disposition, possessing tact and being a member of the team are absolutely essential. Must be able to handle a range of projects simultaneously and without distress that modifies behavior or leads to poor decisions. Must be able to think clearly before speaking and remain courteous in high stress or conflict situations. Must be able to make decisions in the best interest of the Cooperative regardless of the circumstances. Must work safely and independently without supervision, handle work flow in an organized manner, exercise sound judgment, act in accordance with MEC policies, work to provide excellent member service, and secure approval from supervisor in making decisions when policies or procedures require interpretation.
Inside, and outside work under varying and sometimes extreme weather conditions. Employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. May be required to work outside of daily established hours if requested. Will be required to work in all of the Cooperative's service territory. Must be available to assist in any appropriate manner, and at any time, with restoration activities. Occasional overnight travel to out-of-town technical seminars and conferences or for outage restoration must be anticipated.
Must be able to stay on task recognizing that oversight responsibilities will likely result in frequent interruptions for interaction with other employees and/or the public. Must adhere to and promote safety regulations as set forth by the Cooperative. Must regularly attend safety meetings, trainings and actively participate in safety programs. Position will promote safe working habits and use all protective equipment as prescribed by the Cooperative's policies and procedures. Will report all eminent danger situations immediately to supervisor and/or other appropriate senior management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Requires periodic travel to local service points within the Cooperative service territory, such as post office, bank or other district offices. Individual should be able to handle occasional high-pressure situations.
• While performing the duties of this job, required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear.
• Ability to perform heavy work: exerting up to 200 pounds of force with assistance or in combination, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds frequently unassisted, and/or constantly move up to 20 pounds of force.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Builds and maintains positive and productive working relationships with fellow employees to promote the Cooperative's plans, procedures and services as well as promoting a positive public image for the organization, and its goals and objectives. Advises, informs, and consults with supervisor on Cooperative programs, plans and procedures to obtain approvals, information and direction. Acts as a member of the Cooperative team, and willingly shares information with all employees in all departments.
Builds and maintains positive relationships with all service providers to seek advice, information, assistance and equipment necessary to provide for the Cooperative needs. Works directly with cooperative employees, outside contractors, general public, and other utilities to ensure compliance with contract and work specifications. Works to establish and maintain exemplary relationships with members.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required.
MEC reserves the right to revise or change the job responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!